The Plymouth automobile was introduced on July 7, 1928. It was the Chrysler Corporation's first entry in the low-priced field, which at the time was dominated by Chevrolet and Ford. Plymouths were actually priced a little higher than the competition, but they offered standard features such as hydraulic brakes that the competition did not provide. Plymouths were originally sold exclusively through Chrysler dealerships.
The logo featured a rear view of the Mayflower ship which landed at Plymouth Rock. However, the Plymouth brand name came from Plymouth Binder Twine, chosen by Joe Frazer for its popularity among farmers.
The origins of the first Plymouth can be traced back to the Maxwell automobile. When Walter Chrysler took over control of the trouble- ridden Maxwell-Chalmers car company in the early 1920s, he inherited the Maxwell as part of the package.
After he used the company's facilities to help create and launch the Chrysler car in 1924, he decided to create a lower-priced companion car.
So for 1926 the Maxwell was reworked and re-badged as a low-end Chrysler model. Then at the end of the decade this model was once again reworked and re-badged, this time to create the Plymouth.